About Your Retainer/Wearing Schedule
Thank you for choosing ClearRetain
About Your New Retainer
- The sole purpose of your retainer is to hold/retain your teeth in place.
- Your retainer should fit securely onto your teeth. Each retainer is custom built, and we do everything we can to guarantee the best possible fit based on the impression you took.
- Some discomfort is normal during the first few days of use.
- Countless numbers of orthodontic appliances are used trouble free around the world daily. However, when biting on plastic, acrylic, wires, or anything between your teeth, it could possibly cause occlusion and/or TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) problems for a select few people.
- To further reduce the unlikely event of any bite and/or TMJ issues, please view the following retainer wearing schedule.
Retainer Wearing Schedule
- Don’t wear your upper AND lower retainers at the same time unless your local dentist or orthodontist tells you to.
- If you have recently completed treatment to have your teeth straightened, then wear one of your retainers during the day and the other during the night for the first couple of weeks. After that, just wear one retainer each night (Alternating top and bottom).
- If you do not wear your retainer for long periods of time, your teeth may shift and the retainer may no longer fit.
Care and Cleaning
- When you are not wearing your retainer, keep it from getting scratched or broken by storing it in the provided case.
- Take your retainer out when you eat. You should also remove it when you participate in sports or other physical activities that could result in your retainer getting lost or broken.
- Clean your retainer daily by rinsing it with cool water and brushing it with a soft toothbrush.
- Do not use toothpaste as it will scuff the clear plastic and give it a cloudy appearance.
- For more in-depth cleaning you can occasionally soak your clear retainer in a denture/retainer cleaner.
- Do not use hot water to soak, wash or boil your retainer. Leaving it in a hot car or exposed to other sources of heat can cause it to lose its shape.
At ClearRetain, our goal is your complete satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us.